Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

UK GPs making the move to Australia to work require an Australian visa with suitable working rights. There is considerable misinformation about visas and sponsorship. While Alecto is not a migration agency and cannot give you formal advice, we can give you the facts as they currently stand.

  • Your clinic will sponsor you for a visa. This will generally be for the same period as your contract.
  • The Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS 482) visa replaced the 457-skilled working visa in March 2018. The TSS visa does much the same as the 457 but differs in some small technicalities.
  • The Australian government continues to support the skills shortage in the medical profession. They recognise General Medical Practitioners as a highly skilled occupation needed in Australia. The occupation remains on the Medium to Long Term Skill Shortage list.
  • There continues to be a very real shortage of GPs in Australia. This means there is no current indication that General Practitioners are to be taken off this list.
  • The visa process is generally the easiest part of the whole process to get out to Australia and working. We are aware that many GPs worry about it.  But we will guide you through the steps to getting your visa. If circumstances are unusual or you need formal visa advice. We can put you in touch with a migration agent.
  • Your required to complete a medical for your visa application. As you will be working in the medical profession.
  • There is a requirement of a police check for every country you have lived in. This will be for a period of 6 months or longer since the age of 18. The check’s done online. It will take a few weeks to receive the completed check.
  • You will also need to obtain private health insurance cover to apply for your visa. Once you arrive in Australia as a British Citizen you’re eligible for government funded healthcare through Medicare.

The TSS visa is applied for once your application for registration is with the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency (AHPRA). You will need the visa before you apply for your Medicare Provider Number. This is the number which allows you to bill Medicare for seeing patients.

You can actually apply for your visa yourself online. If you think there may be some circumstances that will create delays or limit your ability to get a visa. Alecto would encourage you to speak with a migration agent. We work closely with an agent specialising in visas for medicos. We would be happy to introduce you to them.

Once you have specialist registration you can apply for Permanent Residency. However, there are a raft of conditions that apply. We can’t guarantee you will be eligible.

For more information we can chat through your options. Please do get in touch! Leave us a message. One of our team will call you back.

Click Here To See Our Latest Vacancies

Request a callback from one of our advisors

Fill out this form for new job notifications